Friday, January 10, 2014

The Newberry Reading Challenge 2014

Smiling Shelves

As I was looking at other book blogs during Bout of Books, I stumbled upon Smiling Shelves and her Newberry Book Challenge. I thought this would be a great one for me to participate in since I teach the 4th grade. I'm always adding new books to my classroom library, and I'd love to revisit some books that I read as a child.

The guidelines are as follows:

Each book you read is worth points. You get:
3 points for a Newbery Medal Winner
2 points for a Newbery Honor Book
1 point for a Caldecott Medal Winner (Gotta give the picture books some love, too.)

In addition to that, you pick a level to aim for:
 L'Engle: 15 - 29 points
Spinelli: 30 - 44 points
Avi: 45 - 59 points
Lowry: 60 - 74 points
 Konigsburg: 75+ points

Since I love to read Maniac Magee to my students every year, I'm going to aim for Spinelli.

If you think you might be interested, go check out Smiling Shelves and join in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment